I had a client today upgrade her WordPress blog to 3.1.1 and when she clicked on any categories or posts, she got a 404 page not found error. Took a while of searching on the web but solution was found. Solution required regeneration of brand new .htaccess file and deletion of one plugin. Details are below.
Solution was found here:
Here’s what we did:
1. disable all plugins
2. remove .htaccess file from blog folder on server
3. switch permalinks to default and then back to her setting, and then verified this recreated a brand new .htaccess file on her blog folder on server
4. verified this fixed issue (yeah!)
5. one by one, enabled plugins, and discovered that a category related plugin (that renamed a category to something else) was also causing problem so we deleted it.
6. so with all plugins enabled again, retested and it worked. Many thanks to Dre Armeda for this solution.Jill
Aldebaran Web Design, Seattle
Jill Olkoski has a BS in Engineering, a BS in Computer Science and an MA in Clinical Psychology. She delights in using her advanced technical and psychological skills to help small business owners develop cost-effective and successful websites.